Sunday, February 7, 2010

SKYE ON GILI AIR

I had an amazing time in Bali where we stayed for six weeks! A part that I really enjoyed was when we went to the Gili islands! These are three islands right off the coast of Bali. It took an hour and a half by boat to get to there.

My friends Sasha, Ruby, and I sat at the front of the boat where there was a little window out of which we stuck our heads. The thrill of the wind rushing through my hair was amazing. If you have ever skied and speeded down a really big hill, and felt like you could fly, then you sort of know how I felt!

We finally got to our destination, Gili Air! The island was really small, so small in fact that there were no cars, only horse and buggies, and you could walk all the way around it in a few hours. There wasn’t much to do besides play on the beach and hangout in the shade in the hot afternoons. But one day, we took what’s called an exploratory dive. We started in a pool and learned all the stuff we needed to know before we went into the ocean. Then once we were done with that we got all the equipment and piled it into the boat (ourselves included) and went out to sea! When we got to the right place, the captain stopped the engine and threw the anchor into the sea. We put on our equipment and in groups of three we sat on the edge of the boat and fell backwards into the water on the count of three! I popped my head back out of the water and gave a grin from ear to ear. I went back under the water with my two buddy partners (which you have to have) and we started to descend to the sandy ocean floor. We reached 50 feet! I was amazed at how deep we had gone and I loved it! At first there wasn’t much to see but then we swam around a big bulk of dead coral and came into a whole new world! It was like nothing I had ever seen before. There were sooo many different colors and shapes! There was also trillions of different kinds of fish like, Lion fish, Cuttle fish, Sea turtles, Parrot fish, and TONS more!!! I wanted to stay down there forever, but it was time for us to start heading back up.

It was an experience of a lifetime and I will never forget that trip to another world.

1 comment:

  1. Skye, You are so lucky to be in such a beautiful place.... I wish I was with you so much, and Miss you tons!! Take pictures for me and think of me!! You look so pretty in the pictures that I saw! I miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomuch!!!

    P.S. What if I start narring and a piece falls off???!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete